Eating healthy gives you a better chance of recovery, but many people downplay the significance. According to a 2019 CDC survey, only 12.3% and 10.0% of surveyed adults met fruit and vegetable intake recommendations. When people develop an addiction, they consume an unhealthy diet because the drug they consume blocks them from eating foods with balanced nutrients. The body undergoes many changes during the recovery process. That is why it’s essential to eat healthily at this point. A healthy diet helps with addiction recovery in many ways.
Can Nutrition Play a Role in Recovery?
Nutrition plays a crucial role in recovery. Proper nutrition provides the body with essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that support various bodily functions, including the healing and repair of tissues. Adequate protein is vital for repairing damaged tissues, while vitamins and minerals, such as iron and vitamin C, are necessary to produce new blood cells and support the immune system. Eating a balanced diet that includes a variety of whole foods can also help manage inflammation, which is often a factor in recovery from injury or illness. In some cases, like addiction, a doctor or nutritionist may recommend specific dietary changes or supplements to support recovery.
What Are the Benefits of Healthy Eating in Addiction Recovery?
Eating healthily in addiction recovery is crucial to avoid the risks of a relapse. Healthy eating can provide numerous benefits in addiction recovery, including:
- Improved physical health: Eating a balanced diet can help repair the damage to the body caused by substance abuse and improve overall health.
- Increased energy and mental clarity: Proper nutrition can help to boost energy levels and improve mental clarity, making it easier to focus on recovery.
- Better mood regulation: Eating a balanced diet with essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals can help regulate mood and prevent mood swings.
- Reduced cravings: Eating a healthy diet can help reduce cravings for drugs and alcohol.
- Improved sleep: Eating a healthy diet can help regulate sleep patterns, which can be disrupted in early recovery.
- Better overall wellness: A healthy diet can improve physical, mental, and emotional well-being, leading to a better general sense of wellness during addiction recovery.
Now that you know the benefits of healthy eating in addiction recovery, you should know the nutrients and foods to consume. Essentially, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates are nutrients that will help the body the most. Proteins will repair the damage caused by your addiction, while vitamins and minerals will help in the body’s metabolism. Carbohydrates will help in energy production.
The food to consume will depend on the recovery center. Before enrolling, check the menu to see what diet they offer. A few foods that will be offered include; chicken, beans, and fish, alongside fruits and veggies like apples, oranges, and spinach. These meals are combined in proportion to give the body what it needs.
Do Rehabs Offer Nutrition Programs?
Yes, many rehabilitation centers offer nutritional drug rehab programs as part of their treatment plans. These programs can include education on healthy eating habits, meal planning, and grocery shopping tips. These programs aim to help patients develop healthy relationships with food and improve their overall health and well-being.
Rehab centers typically offer the following types of nutrition programs:
- Detox nutrition: Detox nutrition is designed to support individuals during detoxification and provide essential nutrients for healing and recovery.
- Clinical nutrition: This provides medical nutrition therapy for individuals with specific health conditions or disorders.
- Whole foods nutrition: This emphasizes a diet rich in nutrient-dense whole foods to support physical and mental health.
- Plant-based nutrition: This focuses on a diet of primarily plant-based foods and may be recommended for individuals with specific health conditions or those looking to improve overall health.
- Sports nutrition: This program is tailored to meet the unique needs of athletes and active individuals, including proper fueling and hydration strategies.
- Mindful eating: focuses on developing a healthy relationship with food through practices such as mindfulness and intuitive eating.
These programs may be individually tailored to meet the needs of each person in recovery and may be combined with other forms of treatment such as therapy, medication management, and alternative therapies. Cedar Oaks Wellness Center offers the best addiction treatment programs in Cincinnati. The medical staff interacts with the patient to set up the best nutrition program to aid their recovery.
Cedar Oaks Wellness Center Offers Nutrition and Wellness Rehab Programs in Ohio
Rehabilitation isn’t just about treatment alone. A lot of things are put in place to ensure you overcome addiction. One of those things is nutrition. As explained, a healthy diet in recovery is beneficial in many ways. To aid your recovery process, you need to change your diet, and the only way to adopt the right diet is by working with a team of experienced and compassionate medical staff – like those in Cedar Oaks Wellness Center.
Located outside metro Cincinnati, Cedar Oaks Wellness Center is a premier addiction and mental health treatment provider that caters to the needs of addicts. The medical staff follows a holistic approach that involves treating the problem and the person. We work closely with patients to create the best treatment and diet plan to meet their needs.
We understand that no two people are the same and that there isn’t a single treatment for all addictions. That’s why we are meticulous with our diagnosis and treatment. Not only do we offer regular treatment programs like detoxification and residential inpatient and evidence-based therapies, but we also help patients eat healthily by working with them to create the ideal nutrition program that will aid their recovery and help them live a life of sobriety.